My Thoughts on "The Peasant's Dream" by Melanie Dickerson

The Peasant's Dream (Hagenheim, #11)

Recommends it for: 14+ readers, who love insta-love plots, and mediocre writing.

I read this book about 5 months ago as my first Melanie Dickerson book. I've more or less checked out all of her books, and for some reason, the last one was the one I ended up reading. (You can call me crazy now).

This book is about the youngest daughter of the Duke of Hagenheim, Adela.  Basically, she doesn't like her life in the castle, so she pulls a Jasmine and decides to disguise herself and run off to town alone, and see what life's like for the average person.

Then it's about Fredrick--And right off the bat, can I tell you that I strongly dislike that name for a main guy?? (I think this is turning into a rant review already). Back to the point, he really likes carving wood, and yeah, he likes carving wood. But he can't carve wood because his abusive father makes him work on the farm. 

And then, the two of them meet in town, there's major insta-love. MAJOR insta-love.

What I Liked:

1) There was spiritual content there, and it was sweet to see.

2) The Romance was clean, there was nothing too explicit, and nothing made me squirm.

3) It had a super fun ending. It was actually decent.

What I Didn't Like:

1) After 13 or so books, I should think that Dickerson would've improved in her writing, and there are definitely some parts that are stronger than others, but overall, I was unimpressed. I would read a sentence, and be like "yeah that could've totally been better"

2) The dialogue was slightly cheesy.

3) There could've been more spiritual content.  What I don't like is "christian" fiction writers putting the spiritual content into their story, like an add-on. This happened in this book too. I liked what was there, but was unimpressed with there not being more.

4) The characters were silly. There wasn't much depth to them. Adela was very immature and childish, and she didn't really grow out of that.

5) Dickerson can write romance, but action really isn't her thing. I wasn't really on the edge of my seat.

So, there you have it. I did not really like this book, it dragged on for me, and I really didn't have very much fun reading it. 

There are the things that went through my head while reading, post in the comments what you think about this book. 

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/136947994-ivy

Until next time!

Ivy




Comments

Popular Posts