My Favorite Middle Grade Fiction

.

Middle grade is tough. And it's just getting more and more tough. I mean, I haven't read a middle grade book in at least eight months, and I picked one up, and I was amazed at the content. It said ages 8-12, but I wouldn't give this book to an eight year old. Just paging through, I saw two exclamations of "Oh my god!" and one "crap." While these are not anything like cursing, I still didn't like what I saw, and I thought YA was bad.

It also mentioned walking down the street and approving of the "BLM" signs in every house on the block, which I personally feel, is not necessary in fiction for eight year olds (or any for that matter).

It also feels like every middle grade book nowadays is focused on something like mental disorders, the way a person feels in his/her body, or dealing with loss. Sad stuff.

So, this being said, this inspired me to create this post, of wholesome middle grade fiction, that you don't have to worry about.


1) The Grandma's Attic Series By Arleta Richardson

In Grandma's Attic (Volume 1) (Grandma's Attic Series)

My mom read these to me when I was around seven years old. I remember picking one up to flip several years later, and ending up reading it for an hour.

"Young Arleta delights in her grandmother’s stories of days gone by, sparked by keepsakes and simple questions, Grandma shares marvelous stories of mischief , discovery, and laughter, such as the time she accidentally lost the family buggy.

Part of the bestselling Grandma’s Attic series, these charming tales—updated with delightful new illustrations—will whisk you away to another time and place. And you’ll find something worth far more than any treasure or keepsake…timeless lessons of life and faith!"

2) Wolf Hollow By Lauren Wolk

Wolf Hollow (181 JEUNESSE)

While this book is a bit heavier than some of the books on this list, I can't recommend it enough. Besides the beautiful cover, this Newberry honor book teaches some valuable lessons about love, and life.

"Despite growing up in the shadows cast by two world wars, Annabelle has lived a mostly quiet, steady life in her small Pennsylvania town. Until the day new student Betty Glengarry walks into her class. Betty quickly reveals herself to be cruel and manipulative, and though her bullying seems isolated at first, it quickly escalates. Toby, a reclusive World War I veteran, soon becomes the target of Betty’s attacks. While others see Toby’s strangeness, Annabelle knows only kindness. And as tensions mount in their small community, Annabelle must find the courage to stand as a lone voice for justice."

3) On The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness By Andrew Peterson

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga)

One of my favorite book series ever, this start to the epic fantasy series will not disappoint! 

"Janner Igiby, his brother, Tink, and their disabled sister, Leeli, are gifted children as all children are, loved well by a noble mother and ex-pirate grandfather. But they will need all their gifts and all that they love to survive the evil pursuit of the venomous Fangs of Dang, who have crossed the dark sea to rule the land with malice. The Igibys hold the secret to the lost legend and jewels of good King Wingfeather of the Shining Isle of Anniera."

4) The Books of Elsewhere By Jaqueline West

The Shadows (The Books of Elsewhere, Vol. 1)

Even though this book is quite dark, and I would only recommend the first 3 books in the series, this book satisfies my love for creepy "Coraline vibes." I feel kind of bad for liking Coraline so much, but this series, is a bit lighter. In my opinion, the first book is not half as creepy as it looks, though I would recommend exercising caution with this series.

"When eleven-year-old Olive and her parents move into the crumbling mansion on Linden Street and find it filled with mysterious paintings, Olive knows the place is creepy—but it isn’t until she encounters its three talking cats that she realizes there’s something darkly magical afoot. Then Olive finds a pair of antique spectacles in a dusty drawer and discovers the most peculiar thing yet: She can travel inside the house’s spooky paintings to a world that’s strangely quiet . . . and eerily sinister. But in entering Elsewhere, Olive has been ensnared in a mystery darker and more dangerous than she could have imagined, confronting a power that wants to be rid of her by any means necessary. With only the cats and an unusual boy she meets in Elsewhere on her side, it’s up to Olive to save the house from the shadows, before the lights go out for good."

5) Nancy Drew, and The Secret of the Old Clock- By Carolyn Keene

The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, Book 1)

I know what you're thinking...but how could I have made this list without it?? Seriously. Need I say more? (And this is a list of my favorites, remember??)

"The Secret of the Old Clock is the mystery that began it all for America's favorite teenaged slueth. The accidental rescue of a little girl who lives with her two great-aunts leads to an adventurous search for a missing will."

6) Anne Of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables

This fiesty heroine has captured the hearts of millions of people, and mine included. If you've never read this, you are in for a huge treat:)

"She's a mischievous, talkative redheaded girl with a fierce temper, who tumbles into one scrape after another. Anne is not like anybody else, the Cuthberts agree; she is special, a girl with an enormous imagination. All she's ever wanted is to belong somewhere. And the longer she stays at Green Gables, the harder it is for anyone to imagine life without her."

Comments

Popular Posts